Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Family Celebrations in Minneapolis, MN - November 27-30,2015

How the holiday season has snuck up on me again this year is beyond me! Thanksgiving offers much to be thankful for in our family; my birthday is less than 2 weeks before, my sweet nephew's birthday was on Thanksgiving this year, and my mom's birthday is always a few days after. Way back in September, I asked my brother and sister-in-law if they were doing anything for my nephew JG's birthday, being it was on Thanksgiving this year. They said they were going to have a party, but they weren't sure when. I thought it would also be fun to completely surprise my mom ON her birthday! So, after some time, the plan was to have my nephew's birthday party on my mom's birthday so when my mom came to the Kasper's house in Minneapolis to celebrate JG, she would be getting a celebration and surprise of her own, she would be completely blown away that Robbie and I were there. It was hard to keep this a secret!

We booked our tickets at the end of September for arriving on Sun Country into Minneapolis on Friday night, and heading back to CA on Monday morning. Being we booked so early, I had to keep reminding myself not to mention anything to mom about flying in. It was especially hard when Thanksgiving came around and she asked what our plans were for the weekend. There was a time when I mentioned Robbie and I going to Cabo to completely throw her off the scent. :)

Finally the time was here, and we packed our bags on Thanksgiving, and we were headed to the airport Friday morning. It was our first time parking at the airport, and all the parking was outdoors at terminal 2! So crazy, but yet, this was San Diego! When we got to the counter to check our bag, we decided to see if we could upgrade to First Class. Robbie upgraded to First on one of his flights, so we went for it this time. There were 2 seats together in first class, so we snatched them up. This was also the first time we were flying out of San Diego together, and my first time out of T2, which is a gorgeous terminal!







This was the only flight I have flown First Class on, besides our flight from Paris-Chicago. We were complimentary upgraded in Paris because they oversold our original flight and we decided to wait for the next one, with some perks. Flying First is nice: extra leg room, all the free snacks and drinks that you want, they serve a hot meal, and they give you complimentary in-flight entertainment with current movies, TV shows, and games. We were set!







We got to Minneapolis in no time, and we immediately took the Lightrail to the closest stop to the Kasper house! Our first shock of  cold weather came on the platform when we could see our breaths! Johnny picked us up from the Lightrail, and we went straight to get take-out at Giordano's. Ever since that restaurant opened in MSP, we make it a staple every time we go. We brought the pizza back to the house and shared with Maura. One of the twin boys was still up, so Robbie got to meet him for the first time! JG and the other twin were already sleeping. The rest of the evening we just sat around and caught up with each other.






There were 2 things we wanted to do on this trip to Minneapolis. The first was to go to dad's resting place at Ft. Snelling, and the second was to go to the Stone Arch Bridge and take a picture of it for my travel BINGO. Our first stop was in fact the Stone Arch Bridge. When we got out of the car to walk down to the bridge was when I got my first taste of bitter cold in a long time. It was almost too cold to function! I hurried up and went to nearly the base of the bridge and snapped a few pictures of the bridge with the skyline in the background. This bridge is where Robbie and I had our engagement pictures taken, and it was fitting that my first time back since then was with the same people who I went with last time, as Johnny was the one who took our engagement pictures!




Being we were in downtown Minneapolis, Johnny took us around the Vikings Stadium that is currently being built on the site of the old Metrodome. If I could describe this new stadium using only 1 word, it would be 'mammoth!' We were able to get right up to it, and it reminded me of Cowboy Stadium in Dallas, TX! This is going to be quite the showpiece once it's done and ready for action!









After driving around downtown, we headed to Bloomington to Ft. Snelling cemetery. We always try to get here each time we Minneapolis, and this visit was even more special because it was the first time my brother and I were together at the cemetery. It is always so comforting to be there, and I always feel his strong presence. I miss my dad each day, and it always completes our trips when we visit him!

On our way back to the Kasper's, we picked up Culver's for lunch, one of Robbie's must-have food choices. The rest of the afternoon was spent playing with JG and loving up on the twins. My oh my, JG is a big ball of energy. And boy is he a talker! I saw him in October and he has become more intelligent in just over a month. He knows all his ABC's and can pick out the correct letter when asked. He also knows his colors, and if I were to say "point to the blue one," he would. He calls me "Aunt Jackie." It's ok for now, but we will have to work on the name when he gets older. JG helps mom cook in the kitchen, and they made some delicious Puppy Chow for our visit. He can feed himself using a plate and fork/spoon, and asks for things on his own. I was in complete shock at how smart and independent he is!







The twins are also growing up so much, even since the last time I saw them in October! They are eating like pros and they definitely let you know when they are hungry, and they definitely know when a bottle is coming. The twins have become stronger, too. They are able to sit up with assistance, and they are working on propping themselves up into the crawling position. William and Aiden are the most beautiful babies!







Sunday was the big day! Sunday was JG's 2nd (!!) birthday party and mom's actual birthday! JG's party was at 3pm, but Johnny told mom to come early, and she eventually arrived around 1pm. My plan was to meet her at her car on the curb and offer to help carry stuff in, as I assumed she would have gifts for JG, and she was bringing the birthday cake. Mom pulled up to the curb, and I left the house as she was digging around in the back seat. I then said "do you need any help carrying anything in?" Mom's initial reaction was a very mundane "no." She thought I was Maura. Then she looked up right after she said 'no,' realized it was me, took about 3 seconds to process what was happening and who was standing in front of her. Then her verbal reaction was "WHAT IN THE WORLD?!" Then she wrapped me up in a big hug. She kept saying all day long, "I can't believe you are here!" I think that birthday surprise will stick with her forever!

I'm glad we had a chance to catch up before everyone else started arriving. My step-mom and step-sister Kori were pretty surprised as well to see us. They were wondering where we would pop up and who we would surprise next! Then Maura's parents and sister showed up, followed by close friends, and before I knew it, the house was filled with love for JG, and his celebration was under way! A nice spread of hors d'oeuvres was served along with wine and hot cider. JG's party was truck themed, so mom baked a cake in the shape of a truck, and it was delicious! JG  was on sensory overload, so each person who had a gift for him brought them to him on a one-on-one basis so he could open at his own leisure. It was a nice change of pace for him, I'm sure!









When the party-goers departed, it left us to catch up with mom. We got some great family photos in, and one in particular stuck out to me. We were trying to get a good one of the Kasper 5, mom, and Robbie and I. The twins started crying, and JG didn't want to be restrained for pictures anymore, so he started fussing. Then we thought it would be fun for all of us to act like we were crying, too! The product turned our pretty great! This was the very first time we were all together for a complete family photo!










Robbie and I and Johnny and Maura went in together to get mom a Kindle as a birthday present, with the idea of downloading Skype for her so she could better connect with her kids and grandkids, and actually see them when she can't be there in person. We taught her how to use it, and she loved it! Presently, I think mom has more electronic devices than me! How did that  happen?! :) Being mom had no clue we were coming, she wasn't prepared to spend the night, so she had to head back home that night! It was so fun to be her surprise on this visit, just like I surprised Johnny and Maura for JG's 1st birthday last year!

Monday morning came quicker than I wanted it to, and we had to be at the airport for a 10:10am flight. That morning, on top of it being cold, it started snowing. Gross! But it was the perfect timing for us to head back to sunny Southern California! While we were waiting for the Lightrail, we saw someone driving a convertible with the top down. That was one person who wanted to hang onto the last of summer! We also had a chance to check traffic around the metro area. This was their first significant snowfall of the year...not looking good for morning commuters!





As we were waiting for our flight at our gate, it started snowing again, and hard. Our flight was delayed about 45minutes leaving MSP because the wings needed de-icing, along with every other flight as well. We opted to fly First Class on the return flight as well, which was a nice touch to end the weekend.






The pilot was really good at telling the passengers where they were geographically, coming over the PA and announcing where the Rocky Mountains were, when we were over the Grand Canyon, and even when we could see Laughlin. That was really fun for us because we had both been to Laughlin twice, but have never seen it from the air. It was extra cool for Robbie because he used to maintain their air program when he worked at Caesar's. Shortly after, we were in San Diego, back in 68 degree temps, much better than the last time we were outside!







I will forever be in constant awe of JG, William, and Aiden! They are 3 little lights of my life, and I am continually proud of Maura and Johnny for the family they have created! These trips are so fulfilling to us, and we will hang onto these memories for the rest of our lives! Until next time, Minneapolis! You stay warm!

"Let us never know what old age is. Let us know the happiness time brings, not count the years."
-Ausonius

No comments:

Post a Comment